Wednesday, February 15, 2012

FERRIS BUELLER HAD IT RIGHT

I rented Ferris Bueller's Day Off for my girls.  They had never seen it, though they have heard us quote it on occasion.  I thought they should see it for Pop Culture Literacy.
One kiddo refused to watch because she knew there was an anxiety-provoking scene with Cameron and the Ferrari.  The other kiddo watched the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it.
What amazed me most is how much I enjoyed it after all of these years.  Even though I am no longer in highschool, I think we can all relate to being trapped in a classroom.  I think highschool just prepares us for all of the crappy jobs we have to endure before we hopefully find one we like. 
I hear stories all day long about abusive bosses and companies.  Gone are the days when loyalty was rewarded.  Now you are expected to skip your vacation days, work 10-12 hours a day, and if you get sick or have family issues, we'll just replace you.
We create most of the obstacles to our own happy lives.  We make things too complicated and hold fast to assumptions that leave us chained to things that don't really enrich our lives.
So, unless you have the rare boss that gives you the respect you deserve, why don't you take a Mental Health Day?  Hit the bookstore, the library, the museum.  Buy a journal and write in it.  Think about what you REALLY want out of life.  Remember, there is no finish line in life.  You will not reach a point where someone tells you to take it easy and enjoy yourself. You have to do that now. 
If you don't believe me, ask Ferris.

No comments:

Post a Comment